In recent times there is much talk about sustainable architecture, focused on the design and construction of homes and buildings with a minimal environmental impact, efficient and that facilitate the saving of resources in lighting, air conditioning, etc.
How to certify the energy efficiency of a building
Currently, there are several methods and / or standards by Sky Marketing to certify that a building is sustainable.
The most popular is the Energy Efficiency Certificate, a document that assigns an energy rating to the home by measuring two indicators: the annual CO2 emissions (expressed in kg / m2-year) and the annual consumption of non-renewable primary energy (expressed in kWh / m2-year).
Based on these parameters, buildings are classified with a system of letters, from A to G, with those with classification A being the most efficient and those with classification G the least.
On the other hand, there are a series of standards, with international validity, that allow us to know, quickly, the relationship of a building with the environment. These are the BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) certificate, the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certificate and the GREEN (Building Reference Efficiency Assessment) certificate, the latter created by the Green Building Council Spain association (GBCE).
Although the three cases are official recognitions, each one measures certain parameters and is based on a different methodology.
Below we tell you in detail what the BREEAM certificate consists of, how to get it and what are its advantages.
What is the BREEAM Certificate?
The BREEAM Certificate is an international method developed by the UK BRE Global organization to catalog and assess the efficiency of buildings.
Developed at the end of the eighties of the last century (although it was not launched until the nineties), its main objective is to measure the degree of environmental sustainability in homes and buildings.
At first, the BREEAM certificate was used exclusively for commercial and residential properties. But, with the passage of time and thanks to its popularization, its use has spread to all types of buildings, both public and private.
BREEAM methodology: criteria and qualification
The BREEAM Certificate works through a point system, simple, intuitive and quite transparent, which evaluates some characteristics of buildings in their different phases of development and that influence their construction, maintenance, future renovations, etc.
The aspects valued by the BREEAM methodology are ten and can be “scored” in the different phases of the construction process:
- Health & Wellness.
- Ecological land use.
In urban projects, the evaluation criteria of the BREEAM Certificate are reduced to eight (climate, energy, community, site design, ecology, transport, resources, economy and buildings).
The union of all of them gives a final score that goes from the qualification of “acceptable” to that of “excellent”.
In a second phase of the methodology, BREEAM classifies buildings according to a credit system that rewards all those measures that actively contribute to increasing the well-being of the occupants and protecting the environment.
What buildings can obtain this certificate?
The BREEAM certification is holistic, transversal and comprehensive, and can be applied to all types of urban and construction projects.
In fact, the methodology is quite flexible, and its evaluation criteria are easily adapted to all types of buildings, climates and territories.
Currently, in Spain 6 types of BREEAM certifications are recognized:
- BREEAM® IS Urbanism. To improve the sustainability of urban projects.
- BREEAM® IS Housing. Applicable to single-family homes and flats.
- BREEAM® IS New Construction, Applicable to newly constructed buildings.
- BREEAM® IS Commercial. For offices, industry and commerce. It can also be adapted to healthcare, educational, sports, cultural, hotel, recreational, judicial buildings, etc.
- BREEAM® IS MADE TO MEASURE. To evaluate unique buildings that are not included in the previous certificates.
- BREEAM® ES in Use. It is used to measure the environmental impact of existing buildings in order to improve their management and implement measures to increase their efficiency.
Benefits of the BREEAM Certificate
The BREEAM Spain certificate guarantees:
- That a building is sustainable.
- That its construction has been based on a design and the use of environmentally friendly materials.
- That your facilities are efficient.
The benefits of buildings with BREEAM certificate affect all the people linked to the building, including owners, developers and builders, managers, tenants, users, etc.
Among them we highlight:
- Economic benefits. Sustainable buildings consume less energy, have lower maintenance costs and have a higher value on the market.
- Environmental benefits. These types of buildings offer higher quality and environmental safety. BREEAM also promotes the use of bicycles as a means of urban transport, low NOX emissions in heating installations or recycling
- Social benefits. Buildings with BREEAM certification produce less noise, and their lighting level is for the human being as well as for the environment.
- Cultural benefits. In short, certificates such as BREEAM promote sustainability, efficiency, the use of sustainable materials in construction and respect for nature and the environment.
How to apply for the BREEAM Certificate
Around 80% of European buildings seeking sustainability certification choose the BREEAM methodology. But what is the motive?
The BREEAM certification is the system designed to assess environmental sustainability in older buildings. A pioneer in this field, it is currently the most important building sustainability certificate in the UK.
Unlike other sustainability certificates, such as the LEED certification, the application of the BREEAM criteria is always carried out by specialized advisers.
These consultants, in charge of gathering all the documentation and all the evidence and reports, are totally independent from the clients, and are the only professionals recognized by BREEAM to carry out consulting and auditing processes from the project phase to its execution and subsequent maintenance.
Due to their professionalism, rigor and independence throughout the evaluation and validation process are fully guaranteed.
Regarding its cost, the fees to obtain the BREEAM Certificate are public and are set by the BREEAM® certifying body. Afterwards, each advisor collects their fees.
In some cases, this advisor may advise his clients to implement some to obtain a higher score in the methodology. This can be an extra cost, although it is also an investment to make the building more efficient.
The BREEAM certificate contributes to promoting sustainable construction models that are respectful of the environment and the environment. Having this document not only shows our commitment to these values. It can also increase the price of our home on the market, since owning it is synonymous with efficiency and energy savings.
If you have any questions about the energy efficiency certificates for the home, contact us . At Tajarat properties we offer you the best service regarding housing.